Monday, April 6, 2015

Week #88 - General Conference and Easter

HOLA!!!!  Como estan?

Well, I think I will start off by answering your questions-

1- How did you like General Conference?  What was your favorite talk?

1- I loved all of them!! But if I had to pick one in particular it is the one by Elder Ballard in Priesthood session.  He aimed it right at me and what I will have to do when I get back home.  So, basically that gave me an assurance that I will need to get married as quickly as possible when I get home.  Also, that I will have to do everything in my power to continue being as spiritual as I am now!!  So, that is what I will do.  I hope that I can get married quick!! :-)

2- What did you to celebrate Easter?

2- We didn't do anything.  Here in Ecuador they just cook some food that is called Fanesca.  It was good but nothing else.

Ecuadorian Easter Soup
Wikipedia:  Fanesca is a soup traditionally prepared and eaten by households and communities in Ecuador during Holy Week.
The components of Fanesca and its method of preparation vary regionally, or even from one family to another. It is typically prepared and served only in the week before Easter (Holy Week). It is a rich soup, with the primary ingredients being figleaf gourd (sambo), pumpkin(zapallo), and twelve different kinds of beans and grains including chochos (lupines), habas (fava beans), lentils, peas, corn and others, together with bacalao (salt cod) cooked in milk, due to the Catholic religious prohibition against red meat during Holy Week. It is also generally garnished with hard boiled eggs, fried plantains, herbs, parsley, and sometimes empanadas.
The twelve beans represent the twelve apostles of Jesus, and the bacalao is symbolic of Jesus himself.
Fanesca is usually consumed at midday, which is generally the principal meal of the day within Ecuadorian culture. The making and eating of fanesca is considered a social or family activity.

3- Do you want me to stop writing you at the end of your mission?  I am not going to lie, I would hate that.

3- Well, if you want to keep on writing that's ok with me. I was just asking!!!! I don't mind.  It is just 12 more time that we have to write!!  It's sad.

Well, now I will tell y'all about my week-

Tuesday we had our District meeting and basically what my District Leader did was that he told a couple of Elders in the District to teach a little bit.  They taught us that we should work more with members and that we should work more with the members of the Ward Council so that not only can we help them but that they can help us!!!  So it was good and my compañero and I made some plans this week to do just that!!!  Then the rest of the day we taught some of our investigators.  Her name is Andrea and she is super awesome.  She has a bunch of questions about deep doctrine stuff so its fun to teach her!!!

Wednesday we had exchanges and I went with my Zone Leaders.  I was with Elder Matamala.  He is from Chile.  He is cool, a little quiet, but he's cool.  So, we went to his sector and we worked just like normal--it was fun!!

Thursday we worked hard and there was a lot of sun so that was like hot to work in.  But it was cool because in the night it rained hard so that was refreshing!!!  In the night we had a family night and I had the chance to teach about the prophets. We were in the house of our Ward Mission Leader and there were some less active members and some investigators there too!!  That was really cool to help them understand more about the living prophets.  We invited them all to come to General Conference!!

Friday we had exchanges with some Elders in our District.  I was with Elder Juanes--he is from Bolivia.  It was fun but all day it rained really hard and that made it really hard to work in so basically we got soaked and we couldn't do that much!!  Sadly we do have a couple of those kind of days.

Saturday we watched General Conference!!!

Sunday we watched General Conference!!

Well, I am sorry if this letter is a little lame but I feel good about what I am doing here in the mission!!  I am very sad to leave this all behind, but at the same time I feel ready to fufill my duties as a Priesthood leader when I come home. I am ready for what life has in store for me.  I am excited to come home but sad to leave this behind!!

I hope you could all feel the power that comes from God as we do what he needs us to do!!!

THE LORD NEEDS US TO DO THINGS, not just hope for things to come to us because they will never come!! We have to act!

LOVE,

Elder Farley

Guerra family sealing



Crazy cat shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment